Museum Ulm Logo HfG Archiv Ulm

Am Hochsträß 8, 89081 Ulm

+++To contain the Corona Pandemic, the HfG-Archiv will be closed until 14th Ferbruary 2021+++

Exhibitions Exhibitions

Exhibition:

Opening on October 7, 2021

The Ulm Stool

Studio HfG in the HfG Archive / Museum Ulm

The exhibition at Studio HfG traces the creation of this seemingly simple piece of furniture. It shows predecessors and later transformations: from comfortable to bizarre, from the luxury variant in walnut to the Berlin Stool by Van Bo Le-Mentzel.

Instead of simply ordering chairs for the new building, the Ulm Stool was created in 1954 as a joint design by Max Bill, Hans Gugelot and Paul Hildinger. Thus the tight financial situation of the Ulm School of Design was directly reflected in one of their most famous designs.

As founding rector, Max Bill was also the architect of the HfG building. Paul Hildinger was appointed head of the wood workshop in 1953. Bill brought the architect Hans Gugelot to the HfG in 1954. When the shell of the building was completed, the interior work began. Built-in furniture provided storage space. But at first there was not enough money for seating in the cafeteria, teaching and work rooms. So the Ulm Stool was created, which could be built with the machines available in the wood workshop.