Building of the HfG Ulm, 1955. Photo: Ernst Hahn. © HfG-Archiv / Museum Ulm, Sign. HfG-Ar Dp 090.18. All rights reserved
The Ulm School of Design (1953-1968) was an internationally recognized school for industrial design. Its founders – Inge Scholl, the sister of Hans and Sophie Scholl, the graphic designer Otl Aicher, and the architect Max Bill – wanted to rethink and reorganize life in Germany after the end of fascism. In doing so, they oriented themselves to the ideas of modernism. Well-designed industrial products were to help everyone achieve prosperity and a good life in a democratically organized, free society.
Max Bill talking with Walter Gropius, Inge Aicher-Scholl, Otl Aicher, 1954. Photos: Sigrid von Schweinitz, © HfG-Archiv / Museum Ulm, Sign. HfG-Ar Schw 3.297 (Bill), HfG-Ar Schw 3.384 (Aicher-Scholl), HfG-Ar Schw 3.053 (Aicher). All rights reserved
The HfG-Archiv Ulm has the task of comprehensively documenting the history of the Ulm School of Design. In its dual function as a museum and archive, it makes the contents and significance of the Hochschule accessible to a broad public. This is done through exhibitions, publications, events as well as the opportunity for scientific research.
With great pleasure we welcome you to visit us: