Designer in Residence
A Programm of the HfG-Archiv Ulm
About the Programm
Since 2011, the archive of the former Ulm School of Design is housed in the heritage building. Also, the archive’s holding, consisting out of over 6.500 graphics, 350 models, 11.000 photographs, and 30.000 documents, is part of the municipal Museum Ulm since 1993. In this respect, the HfG-Archiv fulfils a double function: it serves as an archive and museum at the same time. As such, its main purpose is to open up the history, content and impact of the former school to a broad public. This takes place through making the archival inventory accessible for external research, but also through internal scientific research, contributing to publications, conferences, or exhibitions.
“The Ulm School of Design is a role-model in educating designers until today: the designer’s occupational profile and numerous basic guidelines of design are defined by the former school, still affecting our present.” (Dagmar Rinker, to ulm up 2009, S. 2.)
By initiating a Designer in Residence programme, the archive’s goal is to fulfill the own doubled function as a museum and archive in the rooms of the former school while combining with contemporary research and education in design.
In addition, there’s going to be a theme per residence, which leads to the special potential of the programme: On one hand, international talents at the beginning of their career get the opportunity to work on their own creative and professional profile at a unique place of post-war design history. In that case, the archive’s collection functions as approach and inspiration. On the other hand, it’s not only the task, but also the utmost concern of the archive to bring the cultural heritage of the Ulm School of Design together with contemporary issues and future questions of design. That means imparting the heritage by also questioning it in the face of contemporary subjects of interest. Finally, it seeks to turn the historic place into a platform for active debates.
In autumn 2018 the very first residency took place dedicated to the theme “Gender Design”. After the residence, an exhibition on Gender Design, scheduled for early 2019
In autumn 2018 the very first residency took place dedicated to the theme “Gender Design”. After the residence, an exhibition on Gender Design, scheduled for early 2019, will refer to the residencies’ results and aims for open up the discussion to the public.
Who is called to apply?
By this international open call, we ask designers to apply for a three-month-residence-scholarship. The residence is an invitation to examine the school’s heritage experimentally, technically, artistically and scientifically referring to a contemporary design approach. Since the mere historic research is already given through internal and external research, the programme systematically promotes young designers in the field of design practice and/or at the interface of applied design research. Base for reference are the historic school’s departments and teaching subjects (architecture, visual communication, product design, information, film, and photography) and the corresponding holdings of the archive. Interdisciplinary approaches are also welcome.
What is offered to the selected resident?
The scholar will be selected by a jury to receive a residence-scholarship for a three month period by the HfG-Archiv Ulm, containing the following benefits:
- monthly expense allowance of 1.200 €
- production and material budget (to be issued)
- compensation for travel expenses (arrival / departure from/to Ulm), train ticket or (in case of a journey distance more than 6 hours) flight ticket, both 2nd / economy class
- working space in the archive, where needed: research assistance, technical and logistical support, access to workshops
- free accommodation in one of the former teacher’s houses at the campus, courtesy of Stiftung Hochschule für Gestaltung HfG Ulm
- support in public relations and contacts with local partners, opportunities for presentation and talks
- involvement and public presentation of the residencies results
What are the residents commitmens?
- medical and indemnity insurance, where nessecary visa, subsistence, and living costs
- residence attendance of 3 months in Ulm (to be issued between Sept.-Dec. 2018)
- purchase of materials required for own work (support by the HfG-Archiv)
- recording of the residency, especially documentation of own working progress, to contribute to the exhibition in 2019 (form unspecified)
Next call for tenders
A new invitation to tender is planned for 2020. For details, please refer to our website from approx. September 2019.